Regardless of the size of your business, a telephone system is one of the most important tools that you have when it comes to communicating with your staff and your clients.
The effectiveness of your telephone system can make or break a business. In many cases it’s the first point of contact a client may have with you, so remember first impressions last.
I know how frustrated I get when I’m trying to contact a business and I am constantly passed from person to person or put on hold while they find the right contact. It can be incredibly annoying!
Sometimes I even hang up and look at what a competitor is offering. As a business you definitely don’t want this to happen.
An efficient telephone system allows your customer to reach their required destination quickly, saving both their time and that of your staff. Taking a few simple steps to improve the efficiency of your business telephone system can go a long way to improving the image of your business.
Four steps to a better phone system
In most cases, simple changes can create big improvements. So, here's how to get the most from your telephone system:
- Look at new technology. Even if you are stuck in the Stone Age, eventually time will come where you have to embrace new technology. With innovations such as VoIP widely available, there are many ways to cut down your business expenditure. Keep on top of new innovations and you could save a substantial amount of money.
- Ensure your network is appropriate. Cables running all over the office are an accident just waiting to happen. But your office doesn’t have to look this way. By taking the time to sort out your networking you could increase the efficiency of your communications and tidy your office at the same time.
- Look at bundled packages. Many companies offer bundles which allow you to combine your landline phone, broadband and services like voicemail into one package. You only have a single bill to worry about, and often it's more cost-effective to get everything from a single supplier.
- Look at the tariffs available to you. Many telephone providers offer different tariffs depending on the way that you use their telephone service. If you aren’t currently on a business tariff then you could consider making the switch. Business tariffs are generally cheaper for high volume users and come with a range of additional benefits.
- Getting the right business phone system
- How our phone system helps us work together
- Choosing a telephone system supplier
(Image: Flickr user Tim Green.)