Selecting text in Microsoft Word is something you do nearly every time you use this software. It lets you change the text size, font or formatting. And it’s essential if you ever want to copy and paste text
You almost certainly already know the easiest way to select text in Microsoft Word:
- To select any block of text: click and hold the mouse button at the start of the text you want to select, drag the cursor to the end of your chosen section, then release the mouse button.
However, if you're trying to select a large block of text, this approach can sometimes result in the page scrolling past rapidly, while you struggle to reverse things.
To avoid this problem, try these methods instead:
- To select individual characters: insert your cursor in front of the first character, press the shift key and then use your left or right keys.
- To select one word: move the mouse pointer over that word and double-click with the left mouse button.
- To select a whole paragraph: hold the mouse pointer over a word in the paragraph and triple-click with the left mouse button.
- To select the whole document: hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and tap A.
- To select a line or row of text: hold the mouse pointer in the left-hand margin so you see the normal arrow, but pointing towards the top right. Then left click.
- To copy text: hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard once you have selected your text and tap C.
- To paste text: hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard once you have copied your text and tap V.
- To cut text: hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard once you have selected your text and tap X.
In older versions of Microsoft Word you'll also see four other items: REC, TRK, EXT, and OVR - hover your mouse over each to see what it means.
To select any block of text: double-click on EXT so the letters turn black. Click at the start of your chosen section of text, then move to the end and click again. Job done. (If you change your mind, just click again.)
In newer versions of Word the same can be achieved by pressing the F8 key and then using the up and down arrows on your keyboard to select the text you require.